Thursday, September 5, 2013

Five Reasons Why Cloth Nappies are Easier Than You Think {Share Your Passion}

Today's guest post comes from Serene from Living Serenely  and she is sharing about cloth nappies. After reading this I think I am regretting the amount of Huggies nappies I have bought in the last 4 1/2 years. Check it out and let us know your thoughts and experiences.

Hi everyone, my name is Serene and I'm jumping on board this series hosted by Lisa to share one of my key passions: Cloth Nappies!
Yes, I am proud to call myself a Cloth Nappy Addict Aficionado. I first started using cloth nappies over two years ago not long after my son was born and I have to say it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.



Apart from well known reasons for using cloth nappies such as environmental benefits and cost savings, for me cloth nappies are simply just so much fun!
To be honest, I didn't always feel this way about cloth nappies. The biggest deterrent for me at first was the convenience factor. After all, how can anything else compare to the ultimate convenience of simply rolling up a disposable nappy and tossing it away and not having to worry about it anymore.
What initially got me started with trying out cloth nappies was due to a bad nappy rash on my son's bum. I was advised to give cloth nappies a go as they are said to be more breathable and better for baby's skin. My son's rash cleared up wonderfully and so I seriously considered using cloth nappies on a regularly basis.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover how far cloth nappies have come since the days of traditional muslin and pins. Today's Modern Cloth Nappies (MCNs) are so easy and fun to use, there are really so much less deterring factors to using them these days.
So today, allow me to share with you five reasons why cloth nappies are easier than you think...
#1. Modern velcro and snaps - Gone are the days of fiddling with pins and folds, MCNs nowadays come fully equipped with velcro and snaps so they operate pretty much exactly like a typical disposable nappy. I personally prefer snaps because they are more durable and look neater, but I have a few velcro MCNs which are easier for outside carers and babysitters to use.
#2. Easy-to-use flushable liners - I know a big deterrent many people find with using cloth is getting rid of poo. However these days you can get flushable liners which you simply lay inside the nappy to catch any messes. Then at nappy change time, you simply lift them out and flush them down the toilet.
#3. The wonderful washing machine - This is truly one of man's best inventions. I think we often underestimate the wonder of this basic machine. It's really easy as tossing the nappies in and with a flick of the switch, clean nappies are on the way back in circulation once again.


#4. The amazing cost savings - The average cost of diapering a child can add up to $2,500 to $4,500 over the course of 2-3 years, depending on how soon they are toilet trained. Compared to an initial investment of $300 to $900 for a full set of brand new MCNs which can be reused for subsequent kids, there is no contest. I find it so much easier on my mind knowing how much money we are able to save in this department.
#5. The cuteness and fun factor - This is absolutely one of the best motivating factors for continuing to use cloth nappies. I just love the look of colourful fluff on my baby's bum. This is truly what makes using cloth nappies so much fun, and the fun factor is what makes the whole experience so much easier!

If you're interested to learn more, you can check out my posts on cloth nappies on my blog Living Serenely or on The Bub Hub community as The Crunchy Mum.


Thanks for reading!

Share your thoughts or experiences with cloth nappies

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...