Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What Could You Give Up to Feed Hungry Families?

Last year I decided to give up buying chocolate and chips for a year so I could give the money to World Vision as part of the 40 hour famine. Amazingly, I was able to go the WHOLE year without purchasing chocolate to eat. A few of my lovely friends kept me supplied, but even when chocolate was very scarce I did not allow myself to buy it. I had calculated that the money I would have spent was approximately $2 per week so World Vision your cheque for $104 is on its way.

This year,  I wanted to do something bigger and better. While I am planning to continue not to buy chocolate and chips (mainly because it is a habit that is actually good for my health) I have been wracking my brain for what I could give up that would hurt a bit more. I know that my sacrifices can never be equal to what those who are starving go through, but I wanted to find a way I can give more.

 I thought about giving up another type of food or drink but I don't really buy a lot of take away or coffees. I thought about the money I spend on buying clothes but I really don't waste a lot of  money on clothes, or buy clothes that are particularly expensive.

Then it hit me.......there is something that I regularly waste a lot of money on, something that I am slightly addicted to, and something that I really CAN live with out. It is make up.

The natural look actually takes lots of make up

I LOVE make up. I watch make up tutorials, I read beauty blogs, and I regularly buy make up. An eyeliner here, some false eyelashes there, a couple of make up brushes and a bag full Napoleon Perdis goodies. I would hate to think how much I spent in the last 12 months.

So this year (oh it hurts to say this) I am committing to stop buying make up. I will still wear it as I have enough to last the year and I will replace my mascara when it runs out, but there will be no more wasteful purchases. There will be no more buying make up from today for the next 12 months. 

I'm sure that I have spent more than this in the past 12 months, but I will commit to giving $200 to World Vision in place of my spending on make up.

It won't solve the world's problems but it will make a difference to a few needy families.

Will you join me in giving something up?

Feel like the problem is too big? Do something small. 

Linking up with www.essentiallyjess.com for IBOT


You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...