Thursday, August 22, 2013

Exercise and Motherhood {Share Your Passion}

Today we have Lynda from All About Muma sharing with us her passion for keeping fit and healthy as a mother. This is something that I am really passionate about too so I was excited when I received her post and am happy to share it with you today.


I believe God designed our bodies to move and not be idle.  If you are passionate about exercise like I am you will know what I mean.  I am often in awe of the way our creator made us and what the human body is capable of doing.  In only a relatively short period of time we are capable of becoming fit, gaining enormous strength and seeing wonderful changes in the shape of our bodies.  If you have ever stood and watched as your child runs it's truly a beautiful sight - flushed cheeks, little legs pumping, hair swaying in the wind and a real sense of joy with knowing what their little bodies can do.  I also think that regular exercise both cardio and strength training helps to make me a better mother.  





These are the reasons why:

 
  • Your body craves good healthy food when you are regularly exercising.  It's burning energy and it needs as many minerals and nutrients for energy and muscle repair.  Junk food is just something that my body doesn't want or need.  It's akin to putting some cheap, nasty petrol in a car - it won't run as smoothly or efficiently.  This benefits the kids because the food that comes into the house is for the most part healthy.

  • I'm always in a better mood after exercise, particularly after running due to the endorphin high that accompanies it.  It is a great stress reliever and let's face it  - that's something all mothers could do with!

  • Regular exercise means I have more energy meaning I am more inclined to do energetic type activities with the kids.  Further, I set up my exercise program with them in mind.  I do thirty minutes of cardio which will sometimes include:

1.     Ten minutes on the trampoline with the kids (jumping tends to give me a headache so we pretend to be cars and run around in a circular motion (complete with traffic lights, petrol fill ups and change of direction) which is lots of fun.

2.     We have a fairly decent sized backyard so I've come up with a running trek for us for 10 to 20 minutes.  Again, this is loads of fun, the kids try and beat me (they think it is a hoot to work out sneaky short cuts for themselves) and they love it.

I used to really enjoy participating in fun runs and am planning on participating in my first since having kids in November.  While my kids are a little young to join me at the moment they are really keen to also participate when they are older.  Nothing would give me a greater thrill than running in a fun run with my kids jogging alongside me!

If exercise has never been your thing, I cannot recommend getting started enough.  Like getting into a habit with all new things, it's often hard at the start but once you set yourself regular times to do it every week and stick to it - you will see the benefits, have formed that habit and won't want to give it up!

I've been exercising three times a week (cardio and strength training) consistently since December last year when my youngest was fifteen months (exercise has been my thing pretty much all my life but I had three children in five years and so the regularity stopped during that period). 

Initially it was hard and on those three days I had to talk myself into it and push myself (and felt sore afterwards) but after about a month the habit was formed and I once again I was hooked.  I recommend telling someone positive in your life what your training plans are and ask them to regularly check in with you to hold you accountable.  In the early days it's really easy to talk yourself out of it as too hard, you don't have enough time and just too much work.  Ask the nominated person to not accept any excuses from you :-).

If you would like to know more about getting started I wrote a series of posts a few months ago called 'How to stay (or become) fit and healthy after giving birth and beyond.’

Part 1: the benefits of exercise


Part 3: how to get started (strength training)


Part 4: the importance of stretching

 http://www.allaboutmama.com/2013/06/08/how-to-stay-or-become-fit-and-healthy-after-giving-birth-and-beyond-part-4/

Love to hear if you share my passion and if exercise has helped you as a mother :-).



Do you have a passion to share? 




You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...