Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tips for Long Distance Travel with Small Children

I'm one of those people who likes a challenge. I am also a bit rebellious and so when someone says travelling 12 hours on my own with my kids will be a bad idea.....it suddenly becomes very appealing. I knew it was crazy but it was school holidays, my hubby couldn't get the time off work and I really wanted to visit my parents in Coffs Harbour.
Freaking out just a little bit before I set off on my single parent road trip, I asked for your tips on my Facebook page. They were so great I decided to dedicate a whole post to the do's and don't of travelling with small children. Some of them are your tips, others are mine and the rest are from lessons I learned the hard way :(

DO take a potty for emergency toilet stops by the side of the road.

DON'T get tripped over by your children and spill it over your pants before you get to tip it out.

DO have DVDs/Audiobooks/ ready for them to watch in car

DON'T allow the 4 year old to be responsible for the remote control because if she loses it another 15 mins will be added to your trip trying to find it.

DO provide your children with colouring in books and pencils.

DON'T give your 18 month old a whole pack of pencils or you will be finding them throughout the car for weeks.


DO bring lots healthy snacks such as muesli bars, fruit, dried fruit and add in a couple of treats. Giving them their own "special" bag at each stop reduces the constant demand for more food and the danger of handing it too them.


Lolly bags that we used as special snack bags

DON'T choose popcorn as one of those snacks. It is messy and you may be constantly freaking out about kids choking while you are driving.

DO take your own healthy lunch such as sandwiches and have a little picnic for your lunch stop. It makes such a big difference to your energy levels if you eat healthy snacks and it saves heaps of money.


Our little lunch picnic (and the evil port-a-loos in the background)

DON'T eat a big McDonald's lunch (I made sure not to eat Maccas at all this time). It just makes you sleepy and it is dangerous when you are the only driver.

DO take advantage of McDonalds facilities (even if you don't buy anything at all). They are clean and they have a disabled toilet that you can ALL go in. The playgrounds are great for the kids too!


Macca's playground

DON'T stop somewhere with only Port-a-loos. They are dirty, smelly and only two children can fit in there with you leaving the other child out in the car park.

DO download an audiobook or two for yourself before you leave (it won't download over mobile networks). The books are a nice way to pass the time and it drowns out the kids movies (and fighting) in the background.

DON'T download a book with a sex scene in it. I am not opposed to sex in books but let me tell you, it is much sleazier when someone reads it aloud. Eww!

DO remember to thoroughly check the rooms you have been staying in before you leave to go home.

DON'T don't forget your make up bag at your Dad's place especially when you have committed to not buying new make up for the next 12 months.



My Dad who drove my make up bag to me because I couldn't turn around in the roadworks

Even with the little hiccups it was such a fun road trip and I would certainly do it again (if Dad will have us back). My little ladies are such good travellers and it was a blessing to be able to have the time to take them on this adventure.


IBOTing with Essentially Jess  click over for some great blog reading today. 

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...